Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC)
Establishing learning foundations for life.
The Early Childhood Education (ECE) program (8405100/ E300100) provides the knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the child care industry. Students who complete all occupational completion points of the program and pass the required exams will have completed the Department of Children and Families’ (DCF) mandated 40-hour Introductory Child Care Training and five (5) clock hours of DCF-approved literacy training. Students who complete the entire program and meet all requirements as outlined in the Requirement Checklist for Students can be awarded the Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC). The ECPC is a preschool specialization approved by the DCF as meeting the Staff Credential requirement. Per Section 402.305(3), F.S. licensed child care facilities must have one credentialed staff member for every 20 children.
The Florida Department of Education (FDOE) ECPC is based upon the eight content areas listed below. They are an integral part of the Early Childhood Education program.
- Planning a safe, healthy, supportive, and respectful learning environment.
- Steps to advance children’s physical and intellectual development (including literacy).
- Positive ways to support and promote children’s social and emotional development.
- Strategies to establish productive, positive relationships with families.
- Strategies to manage effective program operations.
- Maintaining a commitment to professionalism.
- Observing and recording children’s behavior including an understanding of screening and assessment.
- Principles of child growth and development.
Location and Hours:
- American Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- The English Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Hialeah-Miami Lakes Adult and Community Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Lindsey Hopkins Technical College (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Miami Springs Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Robert Morgan Educational Center & Technical College (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- South Dade Technical College (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Southwest Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)