Early Childhood Education
Establishing learning foundations for life.
Preschool and childcare center directors supervise and lead staffs, oversee daily activities, design curriculums, and prepare budgets. They are responsible for all aspects of their program. Some preschools and childcare centers are independently owned and operated. In these facilities, directors must follow the instructions and guidelines of the owner. Sometimes, directors own the facilities, so they decide how to operate them. Other preschools and childcare centers are part of a national chain or franchise. The director of a chain or franchise also must ensure that the facility meets its parent organization’s standards and regulations.
- Students can be awarded the Florida Department of Education Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC) upon completion of this program and meeting all requirements. The ECPC is recognized by the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF). Students who earn it are eligible for a DCF Staff Credential.
- This program is comprised of 120 hours of classroom instruction, 480 hours of direct work with preschool age children and includes DCF introductory child care training.
- To offer the DCF introductory child care training, courses as part of this program, approval must be obtained from the local DCF child care training coordinating agency.
- To teach the DCF introductory child care training courses, the instructor must meet the trainer requirements established by the Department of Children and Families (Chapter 65C-22.003(5) F.A.C. http://ccrain.fl-dcf.org/documents/2/470.pdf). Requirements and guidelines can be obtained through your local training coordinating agency. For more information, go to http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/child-care/contacts.
- Programs offering the introductory child care courses will be required to use DCF materials and be subject to monitoring by the coordinating agencies.
Employment of preschool and childcare center directors is projected to grow 11% from 2016 to 2026.
The average wage for this career in Florida is $15.16 hourly or $31,530 annually.
The entire program is 600 hours. Certain Adult Education Centers do not offer all components of the program. Full completion of the program may be completed at a Technical College. Students can earn a certificate at the completion of the following Occupational Completion Points (OCPs):
|OCP A||Child Care Worker 1||150 Hours|
|OCP B||Child Care Worker 2||150 Hours|
|OCP C||Teacher Aide – Preschool||150 Hours|
|OCP D||Preschool Teacher||150 Hours|
|Total Hours: 600|
Location & Course’s Schedule:
Early Childhood Education is available at the following school (s):
|Hialeah Adult Education Center||Monday - Thursday from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.|
|The English Center ||Monday & Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.|
Tuesday & Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
|Lindsey Hopkins Technical College||Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|Miami Springs Adult Education Center||Monday and Wednesday from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.|
|Robert Morgan Educational Center & Technical College||Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|South Dade Technical College||Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. |
Note: Instruction available in English and Spanish in American Adult Education Center and Hialeah Miami Lakes Adult Education Center.
Contact Information at the Location:
Additional information can be provided by student services:
|LOCATION||COUNSELOR / REGISTRAR||PHONE NUMBER|
|Hialeah Adult Education Center|
|The English Center|
|Cecilia Castillo |
|Lindsey Hopkins Technical College|
|Robert Morgan Educational Center & Technical College|
|South Dade Technical College|
|Osar de Leon||Ext. 2111|
|Miami Springs Adult Education Center||(305) 698-5012 Walter Centeno|
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Preschool, and Childcare Center Directors, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/preschool-and-childcare-center-directors.htm.