There is a shortage of dental professionals across the country, Including a shortage of certified Dental Assistants.
South Florida’s dental practices are growing and need qualified Dental Assistants. A Dental Assistant’s beginning median annual salary is $37,630, or $18.09 per hour, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. BLS.
Click here to read more in the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ website.
You can earn much more with experience and certification.
What can you expect to do as Dental Assistant?
You will greatly increase the efficiency of the dentist in the delivery of quality oral health care. The duties of a dental assistant are among the most comprehensive and varied in the dental office. You will perform many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills.
- Responsibilities may include assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Asking about the patient’s medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
- Serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Taking impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
- Performing office management tasks that often require the use of a personal computer
- Communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies)
- Helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including: orthodontics, pediatric dentistry and oral surgery.
Call Miami-Dade Technical College today, (305) 558-8000
or, visit www.CAREERINAYEAR.COM.